RE: Resources and representations (was RE: Subgroup to handle semantics of HTTP etc?)

From: Booth, David (HP Software - Boston) <dbooth@hp.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 14:27:28 +0000
To: "Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol)" <skw@hp.com>, "wangxiao@musc.edu" <wangxiao@musc.edu>
CC: W3C-TAG Group WG <www-tag@w3.org>, Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>, Jonathan A Rees <jar@mumble.net>, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>

> From: Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol)
> [ . . . ]
> If you're using # URIs then you arrange things thus:
>
>   http://example.com/things#dog               refers to a dog;
>   http:///example.com/things                  refers to a
> resource that includes (maybe amongst other things) a
> description the referenced dog.
>
> The request line of the HTTP protocol does NOT carry the
> fragment part of the URI.
> You do not, cannot, get a representation of the #dog URI by
> doing HTTP get using that URI.
> What you get is a representation of something else... using
> David Booths terminology,
> you get a representation of whatever the radix of the URI
> refers to (or at least you try to).

I think you meant "racine" instead of "radix".  And BTW, I did not coin the term "racine", I got it from CWM code that TimBL checked in on 29-Dec-2001:
http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2000/10/swap/log.n3?rev=1.14&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

David Booth, Ph.D.
HP Software
+1 617 629 8881 office  |  dbooth@hp.com
http://www.hp.com/go/software

Opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not represent the official views of HP unless explicitly stated otherwise.