Re: HTTP URIs and authority

Pat Hayes wrote:

>>> Yes. The actual HTML page is a representation-3's of the poem. But
>>> then what I GET back from that HTML page is a representation-2 of a
>>> representation-3 of the poem, not a representation-2 of the poem.
>>> The poem itself is an abstraction, existing only in some Platonic
>>> space of Pure Texts.
>> Exactly.
>>> Those aren't the kind of thing one can put at an http endpoint. If
>>> you want to denote the *actual poem*, you should use 303 or #.
>> But here I disagree.
>
> I should have said, IF you are going to conform to httpRange-14, THEN
> you should use 303 or #.
I am trying to convince people here that httpRange-14 is wrong and let's
say no to 303.  The URI ambiguity is due to the confusion between
representation-2 and 3, because many thinks that

(1) representation-2 = representation-3
or (2) representation-3 => representation-3 (the => means they can
deduct the nature of 3 without opening the envelop of 2).

With this thought, how can we not have URI ambiguity?  Sure, we
sometimes say "http://www.w3.org" is an HTML page, because human
language is psychologically inspired and we share some basic
understanding.   For machine, it is different.  If you write it in RDF,
it will be wrong to say,

http://www.w3.org a awww:HtmlPage.

instead we should say

_:apage a awww:Representation;
             awww:htmlRepOf <http://www.w3.org>;
             a awww:HtmlPage.

We though there is ambiguity is due to our lack of vocabulary, not the
URI has am ambiguity issue.

An architecture should not build to catering people's mistake, right?

Regards,

Xiaoshu