Re: Subgroup to handle semantics of HTTP etc?

Xiaoshu Wang writes:

> Hmm.. not really.  I think AWWW's opinion is that for some resource,
> i.e., the information resource, T=R.

If that were the case, then why would we allow content negotiation based
on media-type, language (French, English, Chinese, etc.)?  Furthermore, I
think it's pretty well accepted that a 200 is an acceptable status code
for a GET to a clock resource.  With such a resource we can see that the
same URI (http://example.com/clock)  returns different representations
each time it's accessed.   I find that a useful example to motivate the
distinction between an information resource and its representation(s).

Furthermore, to reiterate the point about content negotiation, I think it
would be quite acceptable for that clock to return a string like "10:03 AM
EDT October 23, 2007" if asked for text/plain, but to return the image of
a suitable clock face if asked for image/jpeg.  All of these illustrate
the lack of one-to-one relationship between an information resource and
its representations, at least in the general case.

Noah

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street