Re: Subgroup to handle semantics of HTTP etc?

On 2007-10 -17, at 18:57, Booth, David (HP Software - Boston) wrote:

>> From: Xiaoshu Wang
>> [ . . . ]
>> I think that semantics should be drawn only from what is
>> asserted in an
>> RDF content, but we should not draw from how the RDF is obtained.  To
>> draw conclusion from a network protocol, such as HTTP,
>> essentially bound
>> URI to its network protocol, which is a very bad idea.

Xiaohu,
	I agree that these semantics should not be considered part of the
semantics of the document.
I think what you are getting at is that the semantic web function    G
(u)   which is the graph you get from looking up the URI u should not
be polluted with HTTP stuff.  In that I agree.  It is a avery
important architectural principle.

But i also agree with David, that if you *do* take off the covers and
discuss the HTTP protocol, then RDF is a good tool.  Also, I think it
is valuable to check the consistency of the things yu get from HTTP
(llike <u> is a document) and the things you get from that or other
documents (<u> is a Person or a property, etc).

Tim