Re: CURIE spec. included in Last Call WD (ISSUE-56, abbreviatedURIs-56)

The role attribute, and several other attributes we are developing in
the context of XHTML [1] [2] [3], require the ability to scope the
values into user-defined vocabularies.  We can call it CURIEs [4] or
QNames or whatever, but just like SPARQL [5] we have this requirement.

Many people in our constituency have complained about the use of QNames
for various reasons.  We have designed an alternative mechanism that we
feel is flexible and addresses our constituent's needs as well as their
legitimate concerns.  The definition is of course still under review,
and we welcome the participation of the TAG in that review.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-role/
[2] http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/2007/ED-xhtml-access-20070905/
[3] http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/2007/ED-rdfa-syntax-20070927/
[4] http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/2007/ED-curie-20070905/