RE: XML Schema draft populates the intersection of Language and InformationResource [ISSUE-14 httpRange-14]

> From: Dan Connolly
>
> I'd really rather not put 303 redirect configuration in
> the critical path to deployment of garden variety
> Semantic Web data. The <doc#term> technique is available to
> ordinary authors who can only use ftp to upload
> data to the web.

Ordinary authors can use a 303-redirect service like
http://thing-described-by.org/ to avoid having to configure their
servers.  This technique can also be combined with the  use of PURLs, so
that the "http://thing-described-by.org?" prefix does not have to appear
in ontologies.

For example, this PURL URI for me:
  http://purl.oclc.org/NET/DBOOTH/id/dbooth
302 redirects to:
  http://thing-described-by.org?http://dbooth.org/2005/dbooth/
which 303-redirects to:
  http://dbooth.org/2005/dbooth/

Creation of that PURL required only registering it at purl.org.  No
configuration was done at dbooth.org and no registration was needed at
thing-described-by.org.

Of course, if purl.org also offered 303 redirects instead of only 302's
-- are there any OCLC folks listening? -- this could all be done in one
step instead of two.  Note also that with purl.org's "partial redirect"
feature (see
http://purl.org/maint/choose_redirect.html ) multiple URIs in an
ontology do not have to be registered individually at purl.org.

Come to think of it, shouldn't this be covered in the "Cool URIs for the
Semantic Web" document, given that: (a) a 303-redirect service can
significantly reduce a barrier to adoption; and (b) persistence is an
important element in creating "Cool URIs for the Semantic Web"?

David Booth, Ph.D.
HP Software
+1 617 629 8881 office  |  dbooth@hp.com
http://www.hp.com/go/software

Opinions expressed herein are those of the author and do not represent
the official views of HP unless explicitly stated otherwise.