Re: New draft TAG Finding on The Self-Describing Web

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 00:13:06 -0700
To: Xiaoshu Wang <wangxiao@musc.edu>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

>>I think the core of the concept "information resource" is that it's
>>a resource that we are willing to identify with its representations.
>>A facsimile of the First Folio, or even a faithful textual transcription,
>>just *is* the First Folio, as much so as any of the 40-odd surviving
>>printed copies; but nobody would think that a picture of Shakespeare
>>really *is* Shakespeare, although it's certainly a representation of him.
>Is a picture of Shakespeare a "representation" or a "description" of him?

Its certainly not a description. I would say it is a representation:
indeed, this usage was once the main meaning of the word

>  IMHO, the essential difference between an information resource and
>a non-information resource is only the former can have a
>"representation" in the web.

BUt now one has to ask, in what sense of 'representation'? There is a
(now rather large and well-established) usage in which a description
is a kind of representation, and in particular a description in a
formal language like OWL is a representation of the thing described.
In this sense, having a representation on the Web does not
distinguish anything from anything.

Pat Hayes

IHMC		(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502			(850)291 0667    cell