Re: article on URIs, is this material that can be used by the SWEO IG?

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 18:40:16 -0700
To: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Cc: Leo Sauermann <leo.sauermann@dfki.de>, www-tag@w3.org

>Booth, David (HP Software - Boston) scripsit:
>>  3. There is a third good solution, which involves framing the problem
>>  differently.  It is what I called the "shadow ontology" approach:
>>  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-swbp-wg/2006Jan/0171.html
>>  This approach involves designing your ontology to *indirectly* refer
>>  to something that is not a web document, by use of a URI for a web
>>  document that describes that thing.
>This is what in the Topic Maps world is called a subject indicator:
>a document that is about the actual resource.

My problem is saying what exactly "about" means here. Informally the
idea is clear, but it is very tricky to make this precise.

>  For example,
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shakespeare is a subject indicator for

But it also mentions Stratford-on-Avon, Mary Arden, and many other
things. Why is it not just as much 'about' them?

>  The Topic Maps glossary defines a subject indicator as
>"a[n information] resource that is intended by the topic map author to
>provide a positive, unambiguous indication of the identity of a subject."

And what does THAT mean? This notion of a thing's "identity" seems to
be very freely used in W3C circles, but I have no idea what it is
supposed to mean. What kind of things have an "identity"? Does a
grain of sand on a beach have an identity? It is certainly identical
to itself: is that enough? Apparently Shakespeare has an identity,
but I wouldn't recognize him if I were to meet him in the street. If
someone were to tell me something about Shakespeare I would indeed
feel that I knew who the fact was 'about', but is this anything more
than just familiarity with the name? I would feel the same if someone
were to use the name, say, "Rauschenberg", but about all I know about
Robert Rauschenberg is that he is, or was, a notable American
contemporary artist. Is this enough to give him an "identity"? How
much information about a thing is enough to establish an identity for
that thing?

IHMC		(850)434 8903 or (650)494 3973   home
40 South Alcaniz St.	(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola			(850)202 4440   fax
FL 32502			(850)291 0667    cell