Re: New draft TAG Finding on The Self-Describing Web

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 17:26:56 -0400
To: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

Pat Hayes scripsit:

> Actually there must be a URIreference for him. This matters, as the
> URIref is likely to be in an RDF/XML document which itself has a URI;
> but that document, unlike Shakespeare, is an information resource.

I'm not sure I understand.  URIs being textual, they will appear in
information resources, unless perhaps you tattoo your URI onto your
forehead.

> Not unquestionably. I tried to create something that as
> authoritatively and unambiguously as possible refers to me:
>
> http://www.ihmc.us/users/phayes/PatHayes.html

That's fine, provided that you are willing to allow the 2347 octets
which, when interpreted as HTML in the usual way, produce the text
"Be it known ... in due course" as a representation of Pat Hayes.
An idiosyncratic representation, certainly, but a representation
nonetheless.

> but have been told that since I do not perform the HTTP re-direct
> ritual required by the TAG, it in fact does not.

I cry Pish! on all such schemes.  The 303 scheme is no better than the
fragment-ID scheme: it is incompatible with the existing Web and it will
not hold up in practice.

--
The first thing you learn in a lawin' family    John Cowan
is that there ain't no definite answers         cowan@ccil.org