Re: New draft TAG Finding on The Self-Describing Web

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 15:28:09 -0400
To: Xiaoshu Wang <wangxiao@musc.edu>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

Xiaoshu Wang scripsit:

> Is a picture of Shakespeare a "representation" or a "description" of
> him? IMHO, the essential difference between an information resource and
> a non-information resource is only the former can have a
> "representation" in the web.

In the semantic web, what we talk about is resources, and resources
have URIs, so if we are allowed to talk about Shakespeare, there must
be a URI for him.  If http://www.heritage.org/images/shakespeare.jpg
were declared by its owner to refer to Shakespeare, then the content
retrieved from that URI would unquestionably be a representation of him.

--
John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>             http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
It's like if you meet an really old, really rich guy covered in liver