Re: should CSS, HTML, etc. documents bear version information? (XMLVersioning-41?)

From: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 09:06:05 -0500
To: "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>
CC: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, www-tag@w3.org

Henry S. Thompson wrote:
> Net-net -- languages should provide a means for specifying version
> information, but conformant processors should be able to override such
> specifications if requested/directed by consumers.

I am normally only a lurker on this list, but I want to express my
strong agreement with this.  One of the things we struggle with in the
(X)HTML Working Group is how to ensure that a document author (producer)
can express clearly which XHTML Family markup language they used when
they created their content.  This has "classification" ramifications
(this is XHTML Basic, this is XHTML + MathML) and "versioning"
ramifications (this is XHTML Basic 1.0, while *this* used XHTML Basic
1.1).  Does it always matter from a validation perspective what the
producer intended?  No.  Not *always*.  But it might matter.  Because it
*might* matter, we must allow producers the opportunity to guide
agents.  If an agent or an agent's user (consumer) chooses to ignore
this advice... well, that's on them I guess.