RE: Defined sets, accept sets, and <banana> elements

From: Marc de Graauw <marc@marcdegraauw.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 07:01:28 +0200
To: <noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com>, "'David Orchard'" <dorchard@bea.com>
Cc: <www-tag@w3.org>

Noah Mendelsohn

| My intuition is that it's very, very common for languages to
| provide a
| semantic other than "just ignore";  while HTML itself does
| use the ignore
| rule, neither HTML+DOM nor HTML+CSS do.

I don't think HTML itself does either. The HTML 4.01 spec says: "If a user
agent encounters an element it does not recognize, it should try to render
the element's content." This means content of unknown tags gets the default
semantics of plain text. Ignore - for me - would mean: do nothing with the
content. (UBL had a proposal for extensions and ignoring using <any> schema
elements which did exactly that: completely ignore content of unknown tags.)

Marc de Graauw

www.marcdegraauw.com