using DTDs to ground semantics of XML/XHTML documents? [RDFinXHTML-35]

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 12:02:59 -0500
To: www-tag <www-tag@w3.org>
Cc: swick <swick@w3.org>, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>

The Semantic Web Deployment WG, working on RDFa, is
considering an issue:

How does one "Follow one's nose" from an HTML document to the RDFa spec?
http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/track/issues/28

A recent proposal is, in short "through the DTD".
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf/2007Jun/0040.html

I find that answer unappealing, though I don't have
any particular argument against it. I noted my
unease in response to the recent proposal.
http://www.w3.org/2002/02/mid/1182252772.6367.138.camel@pav;list=public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf

I wonder if anyone else has concerns about the use of DTDs, as opposed
to namespaces, as a way to ground semantics of XML documents.
This seems to be the approach used in XHTML Modularization.