RE: Use of Triples with Newly Created XML Languages

> From: Rhys Lewis
> [ . . . ]
> I think there is another case not explicitly covered by these
> and that I would like to see covered. This is the case where
> an XML language is created with explicit mechanisms for
> relating its constructs to triples.

Indeed, that XML language may be specifically designed
so that the *entire* semantics of an instance document
are defined by its corresponding RDF triples.  In essence,
such a language would act as a (custom) serialization
of RDF, though it would not necessarily make use of
the entire RDF language.  This approach is described here
as a way of bridging the worlds of XML and RDF:
http://dbooth.org/2007/rdf-and-soa/rdf-and-soa-paper.htm

However, that XML language might still use GRDDL as a
mechanism for relating the XML language to RDF
triples.

> The example I was
> thinking of is XHTML 2 [2] and, by extension DIAL, [3]. The
> XHTML 2 'role' [4] attribute and facilities in the
> metainformation module [5] support use of or reference to RDF
> triples. At a quick glance, [5] looks similar to RDFa, and
> may indeed be the source of the concept. The same people are
> involved in both.
>
> It could be that relaxing the good practice note about RDFa
> to something more general about languages that support such
> constructs could allow the XHTML 2 case to be included. Also,
> this seems to be a case where an XML language would not need
> to use GRDDL because it has native ways of achieving the same
> objective. That might argue for relaxing the good practice
> note about XML languages and GRDDL in 4.4.

I have a problem with every spec thinking that it is important
enough that all processors that might encounter it should have
built-in knowledge of how it should be processed.  Even if
an XML language has specifically designed its own mechanisms
for relating its constructs to triples, I would much prefer
that the spec writers be encouraged to express those mechanisms
using GRDDL.

> Does that make sense?
>
> Best wishes
> Rhys