RE: [httpRange-14]: New Draft Finding "Dereferencing HTTP URIs"

From: Booth, David (HP Software - Boston) <dbooth@hp.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 23:52:33 -0400
To: "Norman Walsh" <ndw@nwalsh.com>, <www-tag@w3.org>

> From: Norman Walsh
>
> / "Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol)" <skw@hp.com> was heard to say:
> | A new draft TAG finding, "Dereferencing HTTP URIs" is available for
> | review at:
> |
> | http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/httpRange-14/2007-05-31/HttpRange-14
>  . . .
> I think it would be possible to concoct a scenario where 303 made
> sense for an information resource. . . .

Sure: if you are not certain whether something qualifies as an
information resource or not, then the conservative route is to use a
303.

> I could live with a statement that 303 should not be used with
> information resources, but I wouldn't personally fight for it :-)

I think it would be hard to impose that advice unless the difference
between an information resource and a non-information resource is made
clear, and it certainly is *not* clear at present.

David Booth, Ph.D.
HP Software
+1 617 629 8881 office  |  dbooth@hp.com
http://www.hp.com/go/software