Efficient XML Interchange (EXI) drafts are available (binaryXML-30)

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 23:50:51 -0500
To: www-tag <www-tag@w3.org>

You might recall we put the binaryXML issue to sleep on 12 May 2004:

"W3C has chartered the XML Binary Characterization Working Group to
address this issue. The TAG anticipates reviewing the WG's deliverables
in this area."
http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/issues.html?type=1#binaryXML-30

As your team contact, I suppose it's in order for me to inform
you and the TAG that a 1st draft of those deliverables are available:

Efficient XML Interchange Measurements: Working Draft
http://www.w3.org/News/2007#item161 2007-07-25
Efficient XML Interchange (EXI) Format: Working Draft
http://www.w3.org/News/2007#item153 2007-07-16

The working group timeline has recently been updated:

"We plan to reach the Last Call working draft stage in December 2007. We
will publish here a revised target timeline for Last Call Working Draft,
Candidate, Proposed and final Recommendation before next WD
publication."
 -- http://www.w3.org/XML/EXI/#timeline

Reaction in blogs includes...

[[
You can call it anything you want, but that's Binary XML.

Update: Larry O'Brien points out that the situation is even worse than
it appears, as they've designed in Pluggable CODECS.
]]
 -- http://bitworking.org/news/219/Binary-XML