Re: How to name what you get back? was: Terminology Question concerning Web Architecture and Linked Data

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hpl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 13:22:53 +0100
To: John Black <JohnBlack@kashori.com>
CC: Chris Bizer <chris@bizer.de>, Frank Manola <fmanola@acm.org>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, www-tag@w3.org, semantic-web@w3.org, Linking Open Data <linking-open-data@simile.mit.edu>

John Black wrote:
> If you want to maintain the idea of "identifying" a resource, then I
> would suggest the term "Definite Description",
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Definite_description,
> http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/prop-attitude-reports/des.html that
> means something like this: a set of logical statements about a universe
> of discourse such that there is one individual or one set of
> individuals, and only one individual or set of individuals, about which
> all those statements are true.

Except that that concept is not what we want :(

The description one gets back may well identify many people e.g.

<rdf:Description rdf:about="http://example.org/people#John_Smith">
    <eg:name>John Smith</eg:name>

and there may well be one specific John Smith who is intended, but the
description does not identify which one.

Hewlett-Packard Limited
Registered No: 690597 England