Re: interesting hash in URLs

From: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 11:07:05 -0400
Cc: www-tag@w3.org
To: raman@google.com

A GET of http://www.cnn.com/video/ is done and the client
"application" is responsible for interpreting and processing the
fragment identifier (/video/living/2007/07/06/
cnn.heroes.scott.southworth.two.cnn) . Typically one would expect
that if this is html and the client is the browser then the fragid is
an anchor, but in this case  it appears that a script that gets run
when that page is loaded picks up the rest of the stuff past the "#"
and arranges for another request in which the full path is passed as
a query parameter, that parameter being used by a different server to
retrieve the video in question.

-Alan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fragment_identifier