Re: Terminology Question concerning Web Architecture and Linked Data

(Going back to the original question, as it is much simpler than much
which follows!)

On 2007-07 -07, at 08:43, Chris Bizer wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Richard Cyganiak, Tom Heath and me are currently writing a tutorial
> on how to publish Linked Data [1] on the Web and ran into some
> terminology questions concerning Web Architecture.
>
> Here is the problem statement together with an example: Within the
> Linking Open Data community project [2] different data sources (URI
> owners) publish information about Tim Berners-Lee using different
> HTTP URIs:
>
> 1. DBpedia: http://dbpedia.org/resource/Tim_Berners-Lee
> 2. Hannover DBLP Server: http://dblp.l3s.de/d2r/resource/authors/
> Tim_Berners-Lee
> 3. Berlin DBLP Server: http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/dblp/
> resource/person/100007
> 4. RDF Book Mashup: http://www4.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/bookmashup/
> persons/Tim+Berners-Lee
>
> The first 3 data sources follow the W3C TAG "Dereferencing HTTP
> URIs" finding [3]  and redirect via HTTP 303 to documents
> describing Tim Berners-Lee when the URIs are dereferenced over the
> Web. Therefore, the URIs identify Tim Berners-Lee as a non-
> information resource. This redirect also supports HTTP content
> negotiation and leads to HTML as well as RDF descriptions of Tim.
>
> 5. Tim also publishes a FOAF profile in which he assigns the URI
> http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card#i to himself.
>
> Question 1: According to the terminology of the Architecture of the
> WWW document [4] are all these URIs aliases for the same non-
> information resource (our current view) or are they referring to
> different resources?

They are indeed all aliases, in that they identify the same thing.

> Does the TAG finding "On Linking Alternative Representations To
> Enable Discovery And Publishing " [5] about generic and specific
> resources apply here, meaning that the URIs 1,2,3,5 refer to
> different specific non-information resources that are related to
> one generic non-information resource?

That finding doesn't really apply. It is about representations of
Information Resources. The TAG has not ((yet) written much about
semantic web architecture. I think it should.

> Question 2: When the URIs are dreferenced they provide quite
> different information about Tim, which reflects the knowledge and
> the opinion of the specific URI owner about him. Within our
> tutorial we need to talk about this information and therefore need
> a term to refer to a concept that can be described as "information
> provided by a specific URI owner about a non-information resource",
> for example Tim. Depending on the answer to question 1, what would
> be the correct Web Architecture term to refer to this concept? Or
> is such a term missing?

I can't think of a term for "the information which you get about the
thing identified by it  when you look up a URI" which works for me.

  It has of course the term "Representation" which connects an
Information Resource and the (metadata, bits) pair which you get
back, which is different.

> Question 3: Depending on the answer to question 1, is it correct to
> use owl:sameAs [6] to state that http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-
> Lee/card#i and http://dbpedia.org/resource/Tim_Berners-Lee refer to
> the same thing as it is done in Tim's profile.

Yes.