Re: Terminology Question concerning Web Architecture and Linked Data

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 18:42:44 +0100
To: Alan Ruttenberg <alanruttenberg@gmail.com>
Cc: Chris Bizer <chris@bizer.de>, www-tag@w3.org, SW-forum Web <semantic-web@w3.org>, Linking Open Data <linking-open-data@simile.mit.edu>, Jonathan A Rees <jar@mumble.net>

>>> http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card#i and
>>> http://dbpedia.org/resource/Tim_Berners-Lee refer to the same thing
>>> as it is
>>> done in Tim's profile.
>>
>> Yes...
>>
>> That's sort of a circular question. It's correct because Tim says it's
>> correct, and he owns that name.
>
> That's not the usual sense of "correct". In this context, I believe that
> the wordnet sense of "correct" that is intended is
> "free from error; especially conforming to fact or truth"
>
> Or Wikipedia: "In everyday use, the correctness of a statement is
> determined by whether or not it matches reality. People can think a
> statement is correct and be wrong."
>
> If I had a profile that said, in effect, that I was president of the
> United States, then that would be incorrect regardless of whether I
> owned the name (I am taking the "owned name" that you are referring to
> to be http://www.w3.org/People/Berners-Lee/card#i since that's the only
> name in the vicinity that Tim could correctly claim to be owned by him).

Yes, good point.

I'll rephrase my answer; rather than
saying { card#i sameAs resource/Tim_Berners-Lee } is correct, I'll
say it doesn't conflict with webarch or any community standards
that I know of, and based on what I know about Tim, wikipedia,
and dbpedia, I believe it's true.