Re: [vbwg] Should existing Recommendations be updated with IRIs and XML 1.1 through errata?

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 16:01:10 -0500
To: Kazuyuki Ashimura <ashimura@w3.org>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org, W3C Voice Browser Working Group <w3c-voice-wg@w3.org>

Kazuyuki Ashimura wrote:
[...]
> So the question is:
> Is it recommended that all the previous Recommendations be amended
> through errata so that they accept IRI, and implementations be changed
> accordingly?

I have a hard time seeing such a change as a correction to
an erratum; it seems like a design change, to me.

Was it the intent of the VoiceXML specs and such that IRIs be
used all along, much like HTML 4.0? If so, perhaps it is an error
in the spec text and a correction is in order.

I recommend you start by making test cases to capture the issue.
Then see what the deployed software does in those cases. If
the implementors already read the specs as using internationlized
resource identifiers, then this is just an editorial clean-up.

But if implementors read the specs as using URIs literally,
then this is a design change.