Re: Terminology Question concerning Web Architecture and Linked Data

Hi Alan,

I'm not a philosopher, but I have the feeling that the concept "correct" in
a sence of matching reality does not really apply to the Semantic Web
setting.

We are talking about machines that are supposed to process data from
different sources. There is no such thing as "reality" for a machine. For
the machine there is only data! (or knowledge if you prefer this term)

Therefore the question for the machine is: Should it trust a specific piece
of data or not? Or more precisely how can it assess the quality of the data
to a point where it matches the quality requirements of the user (human).

There are lots of different heuristics that a machine can apply to assess
information quality, including content-based, context-based, rating-based
heuristics.

For more details than you ever wanted to hear, please refer to my PhD thesis
titeld "Quality-driven Information Filtering in the Context of Web-based
Information System"
http://sites.wiwiss.fu-berlin.de/suhl/bizer/pub/DisertationChrisBizer.pdf

Cheers

Chris