Re: microformats, profiles, and taking back rel/class names [standardizedFieldValues-51]

From: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 16:03:20 +0900
Cc: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, www-tag <www-tag@w3.org>
To: Harry Halpin <hhalpin@ibiblio.org>

Le 17 juil. 2007 à 05:18, Harry Halpin a écrit :
> I see  absolutely no reason to *break* something which isn't currently
> broken, at least when there is a "way" to do it correctly. The correct
> way is to use @profiles as given by HTML 4, since a profile can
> assign a
> way of "preferred meanings" for values of the class attribute.
> Therefore, the preservation of @profile in HTML 5 is of importance,
> even
> if it's empirical use on the Web is currently low.

If  [profile attribute][1] was dropped, could it be replaced by
something else?
If can't be replaced by something else, why it is really fundamental
to keep it?

Example:

* with profile attribute

<head profile="http://dublincore.org/documents/dcq-html/ http://
gmpg.org/xfn/11">

* without profile attribute

<LINK rel="profile dcq-html"
          type="text/html"
          href="http://dublincore.org/documents/dcq-html">
<LINK rel="profile xfn"
          type="text/html"
          href="http://gmpg.org/xfn/11">

I wonder if authoring tools (CMS, forms, standalone applications)
make it easier to edit the link more than head. I should try to
review that.

[1]: http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/global.html#h-7.4.4.3
   QA Weblog - http://www.w3.org/QA/
      *** Be Strict To Be Cool ***