Re: microformats, profiles, and taking back rel/class names [standardizedFieldValues-51]

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2007 17:21:25 -0400
To: "Harry Halpin" <hhalpin@ibiblio.org>
Cc: noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com, "Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>, www-tag <www-tag@w3.org>

On 7/16/07, Harry Halpin <hhalpin@ibiblio.org> wrote:
> If @profile is lost, and if @rel and @class are given a single
> centralized repository with *no* way to extend HTML in a principled
> manner, you are breaking decentralization of the Web, period.

The Web currently uses several registries; DNS, media types, various
HTTP parameters (methods, response codes, etc..), URI schemes.

I agree it's a bit fuzzy in this case whether centralized or
decentralized names (or a combination of the two?) is most
appropriate, but I don't think centralization is prima facie bad.

Mark.