Re: Terminology (was Re: article on URIs, is this material that can be used by the)

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 12:46:20 -0400
To: Stuart Williams <skw@hp.com>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

Stuart Williams scripsit:

> This later is what the "303 see other" advice from the TAG is about. A
> corollary of following this advise is that you don't deploy
> webarch:Representations for people, places, books, galaxies etc. Instead
> you arrange that attempts to 'poke' the referenced thing result in a
> visible (in the sense that the thing doing the poking is aware of it)
> redirection to something else that provides a description of the thin
> originally referenced.

I think this is a satisfactory justification of the 303 convention.
My only difficulty at this stage is that while it is extremely easy
to obtain a URI or set of URIs that return 200s and representations,
the barrier to entry for returning 303 is much higher at present.

--
But you, Wormtongue, you have done what you could for your true master.  Some
reward you have earned at least.  Yet Saruman is apt to overlook his bargains.