Re: Terminology (was Re: article on URIs, is this material that can be used by the)

From: John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 12:46:20 -0400
To: Stuart Williams <skw@hp.com>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

Stuart Williams scripsit:

> This later is what the "303 see other" advice from the TAG is about. A
> corollary of following this advise is that you don't deploy
> webarch:Representations for people, places, books, galaxies etc. Instead
> you arrange that attempts to 'poke' the referenced thing result in a
> visible (in the sense that the thing doing the poking is aware of it)
> redirection to something else that provides a description of the thin
> originally referenced.

I think this is a satisfactory justification of the 303 convention.
My only difficulty at this stage is that while it is extremely easy
to obtain a URI or set of URIs that return 200s and representations,
the barrier to entry for returning 303 is much higher at present.

But you, Wormtongue, you have done what you could for your true master.  Some
reward you have earned at least.  Yet Saruman is apt to overlook his bargains.
I should advise you to go quickly and remind him, lest he forget your faithful
service.  --Gandalf             John Cowan <cowan@ccil.org>