Re: Alternative to 303 response: Description-ID: header

The requested and delivered content type cannot be used to select or
distinguish resource vs. description because content-type is orthogonal to
description-ness. The original resource could be in RDF and its description
might be in HTML. Now if the resource is on the web, we're unlikely to ever
see the description as a result of doing a GET of its URI, since you'll get
a representation of the resource instead. You would have to find the
description someplace else. But it would make perfect sense to describe a
resource that doesn't have representations available via GET, and then to
have the description be available through GET + 303. Certainly this
description is not the original resource, so without 303 (or 207 or ...)
there would be no way to know that you didn't get the resource.

So content negotiation is a red herring in this discussion - especially with
the advent of RDFa, which as I understand it removes even the false but
heuristic notion that RDF content types carry description while everything
else is doesn't.

The information content of a resource and its description may be completely
incompatible, by the way - they could contradict one another (who is the
author of the Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas?). If the resource is a
contract, it's very important to attribute statements correctly to the
contract vs. to its description. Etc.

Jonathan