Re: Alternative to 303 response: Description-ID: header

From: Xiaoshu Wang <wangxiao@musc.edu>
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 09:58:05 +0000
To: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
CC: "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@miscoranda.com>, David Booth <dbooth@hp.com>, www-tag@w3.org

Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
> I did wonder about the following:  in the case when the URI is not of
> document, when currently we use 303,
> then the  server can return a document *about* it with  an extra
> header to explain to the browser
> that it is actually giving you a description of it not the content of
> it.  (Pick a header name)
Of course, header approach is more efficient than 303 but it is, once
again, running away from the core issue - what information resource
is.   Consider people at Dublin Core and FOAF, they now need a
definition to choose betwen 200 and 303 for their resources, which they
have a hard time to decide.  But will a header approach make their life
easier? I guess not, they still need a concrete definition to know if it
should or should not add a header, don't they?

Xiaoshu