Re: The meaning of "representation"

Xiaoshu Wang wrote
> Second, information is embedded in a message, i..e, it is the
> content of the message, yes?
>
> > [Noah Mendelsohn wrote]:
> >
> > No.  Assuming binary coding is used, the message is a
> sequence of bits. It
> > is presumed that the sender and receiver agree in advance on
> the range of
> > possible information values (my term, not Shannon's), that a
> given message
> > might convey;  each distinct message essentially selects one of those
> > values.    From Shannon's 1948 paper [1]:
> >
> I take the 'no' means that the message is not embedded?

Your original quote was that "information is embedded in a message."  I
was saying "no" to that;  I don't believe it is best to think of
information being "embedded" in a message.  Presuming that the sending and
receiving parties share the necessary assumptions about encoding, messages
>convey< or >transmit< information, I would think.

Noah

Noah Mendelsohn
IBM Corporation
One Rogers Street