Re: httpRange-14: Consequences of redirection

Hello Stuart,

On 12/1/07, Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol) <skw@hp.com> wrote:
> Hello Tore,
>
> Firstly, I think there is probably quite a bit of common ground here (at least
> between us). There are also quite a few thing on which we're likely to
> continue disagree - but there are at least some were agreeing in
> unneccessary (eg. whether or not client libraries are at fault - I will make
> one last pass on that topic and have little more to add beyond that).

 I guess we will have to agree to disagree -- unfortunately a common
conclusion in this area. Thank you very much for your considerable
input though.

I would just like to wrap up with saying that I think it is a pity
that the solution chosen (303 redirects) doesn't work with all present
tools. When developing for the web you don't always have the privilege
to choose your tools and sometimes you can not even tell on which
system your software will run, as everybody that develops in
EcmaScript have experienced. Considering this, a solution that
(probably) works today (Content-Location) would in my opinion have
been a better choice, even though it might not be a perfect fit in all
semantic aspects.

Regards,

Tore