Re: ISSUE-57: The use of HTTP Redirection

From: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 10:06:10 -0400
Cc: Ed Davies <edavies@nildram.co.uk>, Technical Architecture Group WG <www-tag@w3.org>
To: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>

On 2007-08 -30, at 19:16, Pat Hayes wrote:

>> Richard Cyganiak wrote:
>>> 2. This boils down to a question wether to provide a
>>> representation of a resource, or instead provide an associated
>>> description of the resource (by means of a 303 redirect or hash
>>> truncation). What is the  difference between a representation and
>>> a description?
>> A representation _is_ the thing (to some not quite fully
>> defined level of approximation)
> I really hope you are wrong about this. If you aren't, then
> everything written about the nature of representation for the past,
> say, 100 years, has been mistaken.

We are using 'representation' in a specific sense, different from the
various english senses with which it may or not have been used.   It
is a relationship used in web architecture, which not been discussed
in th last 100 years a lot.

> One of the most basic assumptions of just about everyone who has
> written anything on semiotics or semantics is that the
> representation of something is distinct from the thing represented.
> Korzybski summed it up in a famous maxim of 'general semantics':
> "the map is not the territory".

This is true if the web arch sense of representation, but it is NOT
used for the relationship between the territory and the map, but
between the map and a Representation (a pair of some metadata and a
sequence of bits).