Re: should CSS, HTML, etc. documents bear version information? (XMLVersioning-41?)

Karl Dubost wrote:

> Le 4 avr. 2007 à 18:40, Elliotte Harold a écrit :
>> Renderers can simply approach all HTML (especially all XHTML) as being
>> an instance of the latest version they know about, recognize all the
>> elements they recognize, and ignore the rest.
>
> Here Renderers are *one* class of products among all possible products.

The let me genericize that: Programs that read HTML can simply approach
all HTML (especially all XHTML) as being an instance of the latest
version they know about, recognize all the elements they recognize, and
ignore the rest.

>> It's not as if the meaning of anything actually changes from one
>> version to the next. There are just new things added.
>
> "p" was a paragraph separator, then "p" has been changed to a paragraph
> container.
> Semantics changed.

It was certainly taught as a paragraph separator, but was it ever really
that? I'm not convinced there's been any real change here. Instead
what's changed is our way of looking at and explaining a <p> tag. I'm
not convinced it's really different now though.

Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!