RE: Towards a TAG consideration of CURIEs

From: Booth, David (HP Software - Boston) <dbooth@hp.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 12:12:23 -0400
To: "Misha Wolf" <Misha.Wolf@reuters.com>, "Henry S. Thompson" <ht@inf.ed.ac.uk>, <www-tag@w3.org>, <newsml-g2@yahoogroups.com>

> From: www-tag-request@w3.org [mailto:www-tag-request@w3.org]
> . . .
> Henry pointed out at the Edinburgh AC meeting that if we used simple
> concatenation to give people access to information about terms in
> our taxonomies, we could end up with illegal fragment IDs.  So:
>
> If:
>    <subject qcode="iptc:123456"/>
> and if:
>    iptc -> http://www.iptc.org/NewsCodes#
> and if we used simple concatenation, we'd get:
>    iptc -> http://www.iptc.org/NewsCodes#123456
>
> There is, of course, the other option:
>    iptc -> http://www.iptc.org/NewsCodes/
> then if we used simple concatenation, we'd get:
>    iptc -> http://www.iptc.org/NewsCodes/123456
>
> We've decided to side-step this by specifying that the concatenation
> rules are taxonomy-specific and are up to the provider of each
> taxonomy.

So any URI-based program using multiple taxonomies must have special
concatenation rules built in for *each* taxonomy?  That sounds awful.
Was there some reason why the group could at least recommend that the
namespace part end with either "/" or "#" (along with corresponding
constraints on the local part)?

David Booth, Ph.D.
HP Software
+1 617 629 8881 office  |  dbooth@hp.com