RE: should CSS, HTML, etc. documents bear version information? (XMLVersioning-41?)

I completely agree that a really big problem with version #s is what is
the # identifying in compound documents.  However, I don't know if the
usage of HTML with a bunch of stuff is really a compromise, so much as
just a limited scope of identification.  There are still things that
could be usefully done with identifying the version of HTML regardless
of the distributed extensions.

Cheers,
Dave