Re: should CSS, HTML, etc. documents bear version information? (XMLVersioning-41?)

On 4/3/07, Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 03/04/07, Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org> wrote:
> > Processing content requires only that the recipient be able to
> > understand it.  Validation plays no role in that.
>
> I disagree with that statement. An application can be said to
> 'understand' an instance if the instance contains only elements
> from the schema for which it was designed.

If by "understand" you mean "fully understand", then sure.  But that's
not a particularly practical definition IME.  A decent extensibility
model can provide for *partial* understanding whereby the server can
include extensions which it know may not be understood, and clients
may or may not understand them.  This provides for better decoupling
in time - better independent evolution - than a model which relies on
shared schemas.

Mark.