FW: Updates to URNs, Namespaces and Registries

From: Schleiff, Marty <marty.schleiff@boeing.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 10:53:33 -0700
To: <www-tag@w3.org>

OUCH! I don't know what happened to my prior message. I cut-and-pasted
the examples into the email, and evidently it did not work as I
expected. Now I'll try to retype each example:

The example from line #281 of the XRI intro paper
(http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/11857/xri-intro-V2.0.
0-wd-04.pdf) does NOT illustrate persistence:

	xri://@example.org*agency*department/docs/govdoc.pdf

The example from line #305 IS intended to illustrate persistence:

	xri://@!9990!A58F!1C3D/!2495

The idea is that when "@example.org" gets registered, a meaningless
number is also assigned as a sort of alias. If the "@example.org" name
changes, the numeric version does not have to. I'm not saying that
solves all the problems, or that it is easy to administer such
capabilities. Instead, I'm just saying that section 5 (and David's
comment #10) is displaying a misunderstanding of XRI.

Marty.Schleiff