Re: new TAG issue TagSoupIntegration-54

On Thursday 2006-10-26 00:42 -0400, Mark Baker wrote:
> FWIW, I spearheaded the creation of an XHTML media type in large part
> because I was concerned that without one, HTML UAs would find
> themselves having to deal with XML/XHTML "isms" in their HTML code
> path.  If Ian's correct about how browsers work today - which I assume
> he is - it seems that they decided to tackle those issues anyhow.

Well, it's not exactly that there was anything to tackle.  HTML
parsers have been pretty error-tolerant for a long time, since there
are lots of errors in HTML on the Web.  Error handling was already
consistent-enough across browsers on at least most of the errors
caused by sending XML as text/html.

So the browsers mostly haven't changed to handle XML sent as
text/html.  They just use the same error correction that they've
been using for years, although perhaps with a few tweaks so that the
particular types of errors caused by sending XML are handled more
consistently between browsers.

-David