RE: new version of Passwords

Some more comments in the SOAP part of this finding:

2.2 Secure transfers

Soap communicates over HTTP and is subject to similar password security concerns.  While SSL/TLS secures SOAP bases messages point to point, the issue can be more complex if your using SOAP intermediaries.   The TAG's position on SOAP remains consistent however that passwords and sensitive information needs to be transmitted in a secure manner and not as clear text since this is visible to the intermediaries.  If confidential information is to be sent as part of the SOAP package, publishers should either user SSL/TLS or XML Encryption for sensitive data elements.  For a more detailed discussion, WS_Security provides a WS-I "message level Security' document3<http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/passwordsInTheClear-52#WS-I%20Security#WS-I%20Security>.

A. "SOAP communicates over HTTP" - SOAP can be used over other transports.

B. s/secures SOAP bases messages/secures SOAP-based messages/

C. s/if your using/if you are using/

D. s/SOAP package/SOAP envelope/

E. s/WS_Security/WS-Security/

F. "For a more detailed discussion, WS_Security provides a WS-I "message level Security' document3<http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/passwordsInTheClear-52#WS-I%20Security#WS-I%20Security>."

This sentence does not make sense.  WS-Security is an OASIS specification.  The document you reference was authored by the Basic Security Profile WG of WS-I.  I would recommend that you reference both documents.

/paulc

Paul Cotton, Microsoft Canada

Tel: (613) 225-5445 Fax: (425) 936-7329

mailto:Paul.Cotton@microsoft.com