Re: Generic-Resources-53: URIs for representations

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 15:46:04 +0100
To: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Cc: www-tag@w3.org

Patrick Stickler wrote:

> While one cannot conclude that a given URI denotes a Representation because
> it seems to always return the same octet stream, if any URI ever returns
> different octet streams then one should be licensed to conclude that that
> URI does *not* denote a Representation.

*ever* is rather strong there, don't you think? eg. how would you model
a hacked server that was compromised for a week, returning unusual
content instead of its typical behaviour?

Forever is a long time...

The only way I can see around this is, if you want to preserve the
claim, is by appeal to some notion of a legitimate or successful
derferencing, ... but that has its own problems.

Dan

ps. I like the clock example. Simple but with nice complexity (eg.
language negotiated content too).