RE: Generic-Resources-53: URIs for representations

From: Booth, David (HP Software - Boston) <dbooth@hp.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 14:40:39 -0400
To: "Dan Connolly" <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: <www-tag@w3.org>, <raman@google.com>, "Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol)" <skw@hp.com>

> From: www-tag-request@w3.org [mailto:www-tag-request@w3.org]
>
> On Oct 2, 2006, at 7:31 AM, Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol) wrote:
> > I think that in creating webarch [2] we tried to maintain a fairly
> > clear distinction between resources and representations (modulo
> > anything can be a resource!). In that world view, IIRC, it
> > was "resources" rather than "representations" that have URIs.
>
> Er... you just noted yourself that anything can be a resource.
>
> As such, I think it's not too harmful to speak of URIs for
> representations.

I rather strongly disagree.  For one thing, it is apt to lead to
unnecessary confusion.  For another thing, once one of those
representations has a URI and it responds to http requests, we'd be in
the rather uncomfortable position of having to refer to what it returns
as "the representation of the representation" -- not a direction I think
we want to go.

Please find some other term to use.  I'll just through out a few more
ideas to stimulate thinking:

	snapshot
	view
	custom view