RE: [Editorial Draft] Extending and Versioning Languages Part 1

Bryan,

I think you've hit much of the nail on the head.  Our rough thinking is
that web browers have a "liberal" styles of versioning, and have all the
complexity that you've talked about.  Some people think that is good and
has helped web adoption, others think it is bad and has hurt web
adoption.  XML is to an extent a reaction to that.

I think we are going to try to get to some exposition on some more
details of the styles of versioning.  I think we are also going to
attempt some mention of which kinds of distributed architectures work
best with which style of versioning.  I am not sure sure that we will be
able to, because there always seem to be counter-examples.  For example,
if we say "human-centered" aka HTML, then how do we add tcp/ip into
there, which specifically has a "liberal" style of versioning.

So, I think we'll certainly get part of what you are looking for, but
maybe not all.  I hope the rest of the material is useful/helpful and
look forward to any additional comments.

Cheers,
Dave