From: www-tag-request@w3.org [mailto:www-tag-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com
Sent: Sunday, October 01, 2006 8:49 AM
To: www-tag@w3.org
Cc: Williams, Stuart (HP Labs, Bristol)
Subject: [metadataInURI-31] New draft of metadata in URI finding
includes section on malicious metadata

I am pleased to announce the availability of a new draft of the finding:

"The use of Metadata in URIs" [1,2,3,].  The principle change is the
addition of a section [4] on malicious metadata, using an example of a
site serving a URI ending in ".jpeg" with a representation that is a
malicious executable.  There are a few other changes, primarily as
promised in response to comments made by Stuart Williams and David
Booth.
[5].  While it would probably be prudent for at least one other TAG
member to do an end-to-end check before we publish, I think most
reviewers will do fine if they focus on the new section at [4], and
perhaps quickly review my response to Stuart at [5].

Although comments on TAG findings are always welcome, I should point out
that the TAG has as early as June signaled its intention to publish this
one, albeit now with the new section if it meets with approval.  Clearly
review of of the recent changes is in order before we publish,  but
there is a good chance that comments on other aspects of the finding
will be queued for consideration should we later wish to republish.  In
short, I think it's about time to ship this.

Thank you!

Noah

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/metaDataInURI-31
[2] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/metaDataInURI-31-20061001.html