"The use of Metadata in URIs" and UK law

From: Ed Davies <edavies@nildram.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 13:20:13 +0000
To: www-tag@w3.org

Section 2.2 of The use of Metadata in URIs

incites the manipulation of URLs to obtain access to resources
which has not been specifically authorized.  In the UK such
access would be a contravention of the Computer Misuse Act
1990.  I know it's idiotic, but there's case law to support
it.  Google for Daniel Cuthbert for a relevant case.

1. Should this TAG finding note this point?

2. Can a TAG finding define or change the meaning of a URL,
     an HTTP access or other protocol element in such a way
     as to change the interpretation of the law in a country?

3. Should a TAG finding define...?

This is all rather silly but if the TAG can word this document
in a way that makes it clear that not only is it true that:

> Still, the ability to explore the Web informally and
> experimentally is very valuable, and Web users act on
> such guesses about URIs all the time.

but also that it is an implicit part of running a web server
to accept that such experimentation is legitimate then they'd
be doing all of us a favour.

Ed Davies.