Re: dot tel - a new TLD

On Tue, 2006-05-16 at 20:46 -0400, noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com wrote:
> I wrote:
>
> > Indeed, or why not:  application/telephoneNumber+xml
>
> Sometimes I fall prey to thinking about the Web as I intuit it should
> work, rather than as it is.  On reflection, assigning media types for
> little things like phone numbers probably doesn't scale.

Well, current practice works both ways.

In some cases, you follow a

	Try <a href="http://chat.service.example/text-voice-chat"
	>real-time customer support</a>

and back comes a file with a mime type that causes your browser
to launch a voip doodad, and sometimes the link looks like:

	Try <a href="sip://sip.service.example/or-something-like-this"
	>real-time customer support</a>

and the dispatch goes via the URI scheme.

It's also possible that /text-voice-chat will redirect to
a sip: URI, or all sorts of other possibilities.

But all that is issue schemeProtocols-NN-i-forget,
which is pretty much orthogonal to the .tel issue;
all of those mechanisms work without a new TLD.

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E