RE: SOAP & Web arch

Mark,

Just looking at SOAP 1.2, the references you mentioned yesterday are for
the generic SOAP request/response MEP which by itself isn't directly
tied to HTTP.

The SOAP 1.2 HTTP binding states that the RequestURI is the value of the
URI carried in the
http://www.w3.org/2003/05/soap/mep/ImmediateDestination property of the
message exchange context. [1]

There is no reason why the immediate destination and the ultimate
destination can't be the same and in case of the HTTP binding the two
will collapse to always be the same. As you state, this is required in
order not to break HTTP semantics for indicating the ultimate
destination of the message. As such I don't think there is an
inconsistency in the SOAP 1.2 spec. It does mean, however, that one has
to be careful when using the SOAP req/res MEP in a context that does not
support the full SOAP semantics.

Henrik

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/soap12-part2/#tabreqstateinitfields

Web