Re: Rule of Least Power

From: Jonathan Robie <jonathan.robie@datadirect.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Mar 2006 13:12:02 -0500
To: W3C TAG <www-tag@w3.org>

I just blogged on this Finding:

http://blogs.datadirect.com/jonathan_robie/2006/03/the_rule_of_lea_1.html

I agree with all the basic goals of the Finding:

    *

      Simplicity

    *

      Predictability

    *

      Ease of analysis (for both computers and people)

    *

      Reuse of information

    *

      Security

The benefits this Finding claims for less powerful languages are
actually benefits that just happen to be found in some languages that
also just happen to be less powerful. But that does not mean the best
way to achieve these goals is to use the least powerful language - there
are languages that fail to deliver much power, but are also complex,
hard to read, unpredictable, and dangerous. To me, the Finding seems to
focus on optimizing the wrong thing.

Jonathan

--
Read my Blog: http://blogs.datadirect.com/jonathan_robie/