Re: XBL Namespace uses the data: scheme

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2006 21:03:18 +0000 (UTC)
To: Paul Prescod <paul@prescod.net>
Cc: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, www-tag@w3.org

On Thu, 29 Jun 2006, Paul Prescod wrote:

> Without making the argument myself, I'll point you to some relevant
> information:

The document in question is specific to URIs that are being used as
_resource_ identifiers, not as namespace identifiers. The primary use of a
namespace URI is not to be dereferenced, it is to uniquely identify a set
of elements. So the concerns on that page are at most secondary here.

The single most important criteria for a namespace name is to have it be
memorable. I've received complaints from authors that the XHTML namespace
is too hard to remember. I've also received requests from authors that I
ensure that the XBL namespace is not "as bad as the XHTML one".