Re: CURIEs: A proposal

From: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 16:50:39 -0500
To: Misha Wolf <Misha.Wolf@reuters.com>
CC: public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org, semantic-web@w3.org, www-tag@w3.org

Small clarifications based upon my own, incomplete understanding and the
embryonic state of the XHTML Working Group activities in this area are
below:

Misha Wolf wrote:

> 7   Each language must specify:
>
> 7a  the syntactic constraints (if any) on the prefix and suffix.
>
>     XHTML    : prefix = any; suffix = IRI

XHTML: prefix = NCNAME; suffix = IRI; prefix can be omitted

> 7d  whether and, if so, how the prefix and suffix are combined to
>     form an IRI.
>
>     XHTML    : Plain concatenation

Note that we mean this quite literally.  Since the prefix mapping is
permitted to be anything, this can be
prefix='http://www.example.com/partial_' and
suffix='folder/datapoint/item' to render
'http://www.example.com/partial_folder/datapoint/item'

> 7f  whether the dereferencing of the IRI mapped to the prefix is
>     required to yield a useful and relevant information resource.
>

>     XHTML    : Not required

because it is not required by XML Namespaces, and also because we
believe the prefix could be a partial, non-sensical IRI without the suffix.

Otherwise, great summary Misha.  Thanks for the hard work!