mounting WebDAV servers: new MIME type, URI scheme, or other? [schemeProtocols-49?]

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 14:51:41 -0500
To: www-tag@w3.org

Noah,

I was notified of this draft today:

Mounting Web Distributed Authoring and Versioning (WebDAV) servers
                     draft-reschke-webdav-mount-04
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-reschke-webdav-mount-04.txt

It uses a new MIME type to introduce the functionality of
mounting a WebDAV server.

I gather some folks considered using a new URI scheme for this
hook, but decided against it. That seems like a good choice,
though I can't put my finger on why... you might take a look
next time you swap in issue schemeProtocols-49.

In the case of RSS feeds, the MIME type hook isn't good enough
for subscribing because browsers throw away the URI before
dispatching. I'm pretty sure the TAG discussed getting browsers
to fix that... I think we left it in the someday pile, though.

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E