Re: RDFa reliance on namespace declaration

From: Ben Adida <ben@mit.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 09:30:19 -0400
Cc: Misha Wolf <Misha.Wolf@reuters.com>, public-rdf-in-xhtml task force <public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org>, www-tag@w3.org, newsml-2@yahoogroups.com
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>, Ian Davis <iand@internetalchemy.org>

My 2 cents while glancing at this.

Ian, thank you very much for pointing out a real technical issue that
we should absolutely address. This is one of the first issues we'll
take up in July (when I start leading the telecons again.)

Anne, your point is well taken: there might be a way here to hit two
birds with one stone: moving away from xmlns declarations to address
Ian's point, and towards something that is more text/html friendly at
the same time (but still XHTML compatible, of course), which might
make RDFa adoption workable for the HTML5 folks, if they so choose.

Ian, I see on your blog that you said that using '.' and '-' were
arbitrary decisions. So, I'm wondering, since I now clearly
understand how QNames are not supposed to apply to attribute
*values*, why didn't you choose the ':' separator? There would be no
overlap with QNames from a machine parser standpoint, since QNames
don't apply to attribute values, but at least, from a "human parser"
perspective, they would immediately ring a bell.

(I also see that you're trying to find a way to make copy&paste work
with eRDF so that schema declarations aren't purely in the HEAD,
excellent!)

-Ben