Re: CURIEs: A proposal

From: Mark Birbeck <mark.birbeck@x-port.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 11:40:26 +0100
To: www-tag@w3.org, public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf@w3.org, newsml-2@yahoogroups.com

Henry,

> Sorry, I strongly disagree.  It's up to language designers to decide
> whether they want to give things simple names, in namespaces, or not.
> If the decide to do that, as XML Schema did for element and attribute
> declarations and type definitions, or as XPath did for functions, then
> QNames are the _correct_ short syntax, precisely because the semantics
> of a QName is an expanded name, i.e. a name in a namespace.

Mmm...ok, I take it back! Where someone just wanted a 'Name' and
decided to opt for 'QName' instead, then you are right, that is
perfectly valid. I had mistakenly reduced 'Name' and 'QName' in the
XML spec to 'something that is used for the naming of attributes and
elements', but as you say, they are merely tokens that happen to be
used for constructing element and attribute names...but they can just
as easily be used for other things.

Apologies... ;)

Regards,

Mark